Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the month of April:
We started our new unit of study – Persuasive Writing: Using words to make a change
Here are a few upcoming lessons:
– Words are like magic wands: They can make things happen
– Convincing people: Providing reasons and consequences
– Don’t stop there! Generating more writing for more causes
– Writers reread and fix up their writing – Teaching children how to revise
– Teaching spelling strategies – How to use the word wall
– Learning how to write letters that reach readers
– Studying a mentor text – Using mentor texts for revision ideas
– How can we make our writing better – Choosing the letter we want to mail / publish
Science Unit of Study – Life Cycles – April to June
What do we know, what do we wonder, and what do we want to learn about life cycles?
What is a cycle?
What is your life cycle? What is the life cycle of a human?
What is the life cycle of chickens?
What is the life cycle of an insect?
A cycle is circular, always in motion
The caterpillar life cycle
The Frog life cycle
The lady bug life cycle
– What is a life cycle?
– What are examples of the life cycles?
Readers Workshop Unit of Study: February to May – Readers pursue their interest in books and other text
Readers will study:
• Genre studies non-fiction, fiction, and fairy tales
• Individual author studies
• Character studies
• Learn how to infer within the text
Phonics Lessons from Pinnell and Fountas for April
These lessons are taught each afternoon during our first grade language arts time. The lessons are taught in a systematic order to support the children in reading and writing through-out the school year.
The topics that will be covered during April are: (although this a rough schedule depending on how the lessons go each week, sometimes we may need more/less time for a certain lesson)
– Recognizing long and short vowel sounds: a, e, i, o, u
– Consolidating knowledge about vowels
– Noticing different parts of a word
– consolidating knowledge about vowels
– learning phonograms – an, are, – at, – ay, and
– making plurals adding – es
– learning about contractions
– adding s and ing
– recognizing common consonant digraphs
– consolidating knowledge about phonograms
– continuing to learning about compound words
Unit of Study for Math – April
During the month of April we will be learning about combinations of ten, addition, and subtraction. The lessons will focus on combinations of 10 and they will include practicing routines, playing games, and solving story problems. The learners will also be learning how to develop different strategies to combine numbers, and solve word problems. Lastly they will work on refining their understanding of addition and subtraction.
Our lessons and activities will cover:
– Introducing 10
– Making 10
– Using the ten-frames
– Combinations of 10
– Solving word problems
– Dot addition
– Subtraction games
– Addition and subtraction story problems
During the month of April we will be learning how to understand the roots of our emotions. We will have several class discussions and mindfulness lessons on learning how to identify the feeling/feelings we are experiencing in our bodies.
The information below is from “The Way of Mindful Education” this is the book that I am using as my guide for our daily mindfulness lessons.
The learning objectives for understanding the roots of our emotions are:
– Learning to feel emotions directly in the body and letting them go
– Emotional regulation and letting go of difficult emotions
– Relaxation techniques and self-control