Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the month of February:
In Writer’s Workshop we will begin our next unit of study – How To Books: Writing to Teach Others
We will spend the next two months learning how to write “How To Books.” Here are a few upcoming lessons:
– Writers will study and understand the kind of writing they plan to make (writing how to books, step by step)
– Writers will use what they already know: Touching and Telling the steps across the pages
– Writers will learn how to label their diagrams to teach even more information (they will also be learning how build their vocabulary and language within their how to books)
– Writers will reflect and set goals to create their best informational pieces
Science Unit of Study – Five Senses – January to March
– There are five senses: sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch.
– We use our senses to navigate the world around us.
– Every person’s senses are different.
– What are our senses?
– How do your senses inform your understanding of the world?
Learners will know and understand:
– How does each sense work?
– What happens when a sense does not work?
– What does it mean to have a disability?
Learners will be able to:
– Distinguish between senses.
– Demonstrate the use of senses
– Identify all five senses.
Unit of Study for Math – February
During the month of February we will be learning about money in preparation for our Post Office Unit. The learners will also be learning how to count and compare larger quantities. They will practice oral counting sequence as they work on various activities.
Our lessons and activities will cover:
– learning about money and the different values of coins – penny, nickel, dime, and quarter
– counting to higher numbers
– counting to 100
– Several 100’s chart activities
Readers Workshop Unit of Study: February to May – Readers pursue their interest in books and other text
Readers will study:
• Genre studies non-fiction, fiction, and fairy tales
• Individual author studies
• Character studies
• Learn how to infer within the text
Phonics Lessons from Pinnell and Fountas for February
These lessons are taught each afternoon during our first grade language arts time. The lessons are taught in a systematic order to support the children in reading and writing through-out the school year.
The topics that will be covered during February are: (although this a rough schedule depending on how the lessons go each week, sometimes we may need more/less time for a certain lesson)
– Hearing and Changing Ending Sounds
– Hearing and Changing First and Last Sounds
– Identifying Consonants and Vowels
– Introducing Consonant Clusters
– Learning about Beginning Consonant Clusters
– Learning About Names and Initials
– Recognizing consonant clusters: s family
– Recognizing consonant clusters: r family
– summarizing easy spelling patterns
– Learning phonograms – ate, – are, – ike,
During the month of February we will be learning how to incorporate gratitude and heartfulness into our mindfulness practice each day. Since we are celebrating Valentine’s Day in February, I thought this was a good month to incorporate this into our mindfulness lessons.
The information below is from “The Way of Mindful Education” this is the book that I am using as my guide for our daily mindfulness lessons.
The learning objectives for heartfulness are:
– Cultivating care and compassion for self and others
– Focusing on positive states and emotions
– Creating an empathic classroom