Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the first two weeks of April: Informative/Expository Writing
During the first two weeks of April each child will finish writing/publishing their own non-fiction / informative book.
Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the end of April and May: Opinion Writing
During the end of April and May the learners will be learning how to write an opinion piece about a book or a specific topic. At the end of the unit the learners will publish their own book that expresses an opinion about a book or specific topic.
Science Unit of Study for the months of April to June: Plants
• It is important to respect our natural environment
• We are stewards for plants, we are responsible to help create an environment for them
• Plants need water, soil, light and air to live
• Plants have different purposes and uses in the world
• What do plants need to live?
• What are different types of plants?
• How can we care for plants?
• How can plants help us?
• How are plants alike and different?
• What are the parts of a plant?
• What are seeds and their characteristics?
• What do plants need to grow?
• What is the life cycle of a plant?
• What plants grow in our community?
• What are different purposes of plants?
• How can we use the garden learns cape to enjoy and grow plants
Readers Workshop Unit of Study: February to May – Readers pursue their interest in books and other text
Readers will study:
• Genre studies non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and fairy tales
• Individual author studies
• Character studies
• Learn how to infer within the text
Phonics Lessons from Pinnell and Fountas for April
These lessons are taught each afternoon during our first grade language arts time. The lessons are taught in a systematic order to support the children in reading and writing through-out the school year.
The topics that will be covered during April are: (although this a rough schedule depending on how the lessons go each week, sometimes we may need more/less time for a certain lesson)
– consolidating knowledge about vowels
– learning phonograms – an, are, – at, – ay, and
– making plurals adding – es
– learning about contractions
– adding s and ing
– recognizing common consonant digraphs
– consolidating knowledge about phonograms
– continuing to learning about compound words
Unit of Study in Math – April / May: Operations and Algebraic Thinking – First Grade
We will spend these last few months of school concentrating on learning how to solve problems involving addition and subtraction. This will include how to apply and use the correct properties and strategies for solving word problems. We will practice and review our math facts within 20. Finally we will learn how to work within addition and subtraction problems.
Unit of Study in Math – April / May: Operations and Algebraic Thinking – Kindergarten
We will spend these last few months of school concentrating on learning how to solve problems involving addition and subtraction. This will include learning how to add and subtract within 10 by using objects or drawings to represent the problem. We will also work on understanding the concept that addition is putting together and adding to, and that subtraction is taking apart and taking from. Lastly we will work on fluently adding and subtracting within 5.
During the month of April we will be learning how to understand the roots of our emotions. We will have several class discussions and mindfulness lessons on learning how to identify the feeling/feelings we are experiencing in our bodies.
The information below is from “The Way of Mindful Education” this is the book that I am using as my guide for our daily mindfulness lessons.
The learning objectives for understanding the roots of our emotions are:
– Learning to feel emotions directly in the body and letting them go
– Emotional regulation and letting go of difficult emotions
– Relaxation techniques and self-control