Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the month of February and March: Informative/Expository Writing
During the month of February and March the learners will learn about non-fiction books. We will also read many types of informative texts. At the end of our unit each child will write/publish their own non-fiction / informative book during writers workshop.
Science Unit of Study – Reduce, Re-use, and Recycle – January to March
• Every person has a responsibility to limit the amount of garbage they produce
• We can reduce the amount of garbage that goes to landfill by reducing, re-using, and recycling
• How can we care for the world?
• How can we reduce, reuse, and recycle?
Learners will know and understand:
• What is personal and shared space?
• How do we care for shared space?
• What is litter?
• What is landfill?
• Why is it important to reduce what we send to the landfill?
• How can we reduce landfill?
• What can we reuse that is going to the landfill?
• What can we recycle instead of sending to the landfill?
Learners will be able to:
• Distinguish between which items go to landfill, compost, and recycling
• Identify items that can be re-used
• Identify items that can be recycled
• Construct ways to reduce waste
Readers Workshop Unit of Study: February to May – Readers pursue their interest in books and other text
Readers will study:
• Genre studies non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and fairy tales
• Individual author studies
• Character studies
• Learn how to infer within the text
Phonics Lessons from Pinnell and Fountas for March
These lessons are taught each afternoon during our first grade language arts time. The lessons are taught in a systematic order to support the children in reading and writing through-out the school year.
The topics that will be covered during March are: (although this a rough schedule depending on how the lessons go each week, sometimes we may need more/less time for a certain lesson)
– Using what you know about words
– Changing the last letter of a word
– Noticing word parts
– Recognizing long and short vowels: a, e, i, o, u
– Consolidating knowledge about vowels
– Learning phonograms:-an, -ake, -at. -ay, -and
– Making plurals: adding es
– Learning about contractions
– Adding s and ing
Unit of Study in Math – February/March: Measurement and Data – First Grade
We will begin this unit by studying money in preparation for our post office unit. Then we will move onto studying measurement it will involve measuring and comparing the lengths of two and three objects. Finally we will finish up this unit with learning how to tell and write time using the hour and half hour.
Unit of Study in Math – February/March: Measurement and Data – Kindergarten
We will begin this unit by studying money in preparation for our post office unit. Then we will move onto studying measurement it will involve measuring and comparing the length or weight of two objects. We will also learn how to compare two objects to see which one has “more of” / “less of” the attribute and then describe the difference.
During the month of March we will be learning how to incorporate mindful seeing into our mindfulness practice each day. I plan to help the children learn how to focus their eyes on a single spot, which in turn can help them learn how to clear their mind and be present in the moment.
The information below is from “The Way of Mindful Education” this is the book that I am using as my guide for our daily mindfulness lessons.
The learning objectives for Mindful Seeing are:
– The mindful seeing practice cultivates attentions skills
– This practice especially helps students to become aware of distractions
– Student learn to return attention to a single-pointed awareness again and again