This morning we had another wonderful lesson about Martin Luther King. I read the children the book “March On! The day my brother changed the world” by Christine King Farris. This is a wonderful book written by MLK’s sister. She tells the story from her perspective about the day MLK gave his “I have a dream” speech. I have the CD that goes along with the book which has Christine King Farris reading the book out loud. It is a very moving story and it is even more moving to hear the story read out loud by Christine King Farris.
After the story we had a class meeting about MLK. Here is the list of what the children shared during our class meeting.
Martin Luther King –
– He changed the world
– he knew how to be peaceful
– he wanted us to treat all people equally
– he knew that everyone had the right to do what they wanted to do
– he worked all night on his “I have a dream” speech
– his dream was that all people would be treated equally
At the end of our discussion one of the learners raised his hand and said, he wished he could have been in Washington DC on that very special day that MLK gave his “I Have A Dream” speech.