Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the month of February and March: Opinion Writing
During the month of February and March the learners will be learning how to write an opinion piece about a book or a specific topic. At the end of the unit the learners will publish their own book that expresses an opinion about a book or specific topic.
Science Unit of Study – Five Senses – January to March
– There are five senses: sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch.
– We use our senses to navigate the world around us.
– Every person’s senses are different.
– What are our senses?
– How do your senses inform your understanding of the world?
Learners will know and understand:
– How does each sense work?
– What happens when a sense does not work?
– What does it mean to have a disability?
Learners will be able to:
– Distinguish between senses.
– Demonstrate the use of senses
– Identify all five senses.
Readers Workshop Unit of Study: February to May – Readers pursue their interest in books and other text
Readers will study:
• Genre studies non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and fairy tales
• Individual author studies
• Character studies
• Learn how to infer within the text
Phonics Lessons from Pinnell and Fountas for March
These lessons are taught each afternoon during our first grade language arts time. The lessons are taught in a systematic order to support the children in reading and writing through-out the school year.
The topics that will be covered during March are: (although this a rough schedule depending on how the lessons go each week, sometimes we may need more/less time for a certain lesson)
– recognizing long and short “a” vowel sounds
– recognizing long and short “e” vowel sounds
– recognizing long and short “i” vowel sounds
– recognizing long and short “o and u ” vowel sounds
– consolidating knowledge about vowels
– learning phonograms – an, at, ay, and, ake
– making plurals – adding “es”
Unit of Study in Math – February/March: Measurement and Data – First Grade
We will begin this unit by studying money in preparation for our post office unit. Then we will move onto studying measurement it will involve measuring and comparing the lengths of two and three objects. Finally we will finish up this unit with learning how to tell and write time using the hour and half hour.
Unit of Study in Math – February/March: Measurement and Data – Kindergarten
We will begin this unit by studying money in preparation for our post office unit. Then we will move onto studying measurement it will involve measuring and comparing the length or weight of two objects. We will also learn how to compare two objects to see which one has “more of” / “less of” the attribute and then describe the difference.
During the month of March we will be learning how to incorporate mindful seeing into our mindfulness practice each day. I plan to help the children learn how to focus their eyes on a single spot, which in turn can help them learn how to clear their mind and be present in the moment.
The information below is from “The Way of Mindful Education” this is the book that I am using as my guide for our daily mindfulness lessons.
The learning objectives for Mindful Seeing are:
– The mindful seeing practice cultivates attentions skills
– This practice especially helps students to become aware of distractions
– Student learn to return attention to a single-pointed awareness again and again