I hope you are all having a restful weekend! I have enjoyed some quiet time to recover from our amazing H4AC event last weekend. I am finally unpacked and caught up on the laundry. I am looking forward to a calm and peaceful week with your children.
1. Parent Social with Katie and Colleen is 10/17 6:30 to 8:30pm at my home in Belmont.
2. Sharing topic for the week of 9/29 – Free Choice
3. Parent Conferences are the week of 10/6, please sign-up for your slot on the sign-up sheets hanging on windows in front of the school office. If possible we like for the learners to join us for the first 5 to 10 minutes of the conferences, and then your child is welcome to go to educare while we finish his/her conference.
At the beginning of each month I will give a brief summary of what we will be studying for the next four weeks.
Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the month of October: Where do writers get their ideas?
In this unit we will make charts and talk about where authors get their ideas. We will read the children many books and discuss where the author may have gotten their idea. We will spend lots of time making books from all of our ideas. We will also learn how to write about small moments in our lives and how to write a personal narrative. The project/process of writing about a “small moment” will be completed in November. Please note that in Kindergarten many of their stories will be mainly expressed through detailed pictures.
Social Studies Unit of Study Families – October to Mid-December
• All families are different.
• Families are a connected group of people who care about one another.
• We respect all different types of families, their beliefs, and values.
• What is a family?
• How are families similar and different to one another?
• What are my family history and traditions?
Learners will know and understand
• What constitutes a family
• Family routines and activities
• Families have similarities and differences
• Their own family history
• That the world is made up of different types of families
Learners will be able to
• Investigate and explain the characteristics of their family.
• How they live
• Analyze and respect the similarities and differences between their own family and others.
Readers Workshop Unit of Study – October
As readers we will learn how to:
• get our minds ready to read
• acquire print strategies
• be flexible with print strategies
• read with fluency
• choose the just-right book
Unit of Study for Math – October – Math Culture, Data, and Geometry
• We will create the math culture of our classroom – this will involve learning about number talks, math centers, math tiles, and whole group math lessons. We will discuss, explore, and learn the expectations for math in our classroom.
• We will study and learn how to gather data by making and using graphs, charts, and surveys. We will also study geometric patterns, and learn about shapes and their attributes.