This is a very special weekend for our family. Our precious Nolan is graduating from UC Berkeley on Sunday. It is hard to believe he is graduating from college. I vividly remember his first day of Kindergarten, getting him settled and kissing him good-bye. I also clearly remember moving Nolan into his dorm room back in August of 2010. This Sunday marks the end to another chapter of his life and it starts the beginning of the next phase of his adult life. Nolan’s graduation is also a big milestone for Ron and I as his parents. I plan to enjoy each moment of this weekend with Nolan. Life has many special moments that we treasure and I know this will be one that I remember for a very long time.
I look forward to seeing all of you on Monday morning for our field trip to Elkus Ranch!
1. Friday, May 16 Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast in the CLC Garden from 7:45 to 9:00am
2. Monday, May 19 Elkus Ranch Field Trip 9:00 to 2:00pm
3. Friday, May 24 Photo Albums are due! Please return your photo album so they can be filled and ready for the Learners Exhibition.
4. Tuesday, May 20 Costumes for Class Play need to be at school for our rehearsal at 10:45am
5. Wednesday, May 21 – Class Play performance at 11:45 for the CLC Community and 6:30pm for Family and Friends. Children need to arrive at CLC at 5:30 to get dress and put on make-up etc….
6. Wednesday, May 21 – Cast Party immediately following the evening performance at 7:30pm – please sign-up to bring an item for our celebration: http://www.luckypotluck.com/potluck/CastPartyCelebration
7. PLP’s begin the week of May 19. Please make sure you reviewed the PLP schedule that I sent out on Monday, May 12.
8. Thursday, May 28 Learner Exhibition from 6:30 to 8:00pm
9. Monday, June 2 Teddy Bear Picnic at my home from 10:00 to 11:30
10. Monday, June 9 All School CLC Picnic 10:00 to 1:30pm
11. Tuesday, June 10 Last Day of School!
Monday – our science lesson on plants was about roots. The children learned about many different types of roots: carrots, beets, onions, potatoes, and yams. While half the class had science with the parent volunteers in Educare the other half had Slingerland handwriting time. The uppercase letters for this week were M,P,E, and O. After recess we had spanish, and class play practice.
Tuesday – we started our 7th and last round of the K/1 Specials which is the same program that was formerly called seminars. The topics this year have been: Mindfulness, Math in Art, Robotics, Handwork, Earth Science, Take a Part, and Archeology. After recess we had class play rehearsal and we also decided on the title for our class play “America’s Garden.”
Wednesday – we began our day with math tiles and our letter of the week story “t.” Please ask your learner about the very strong and tough umbrella tree. Then we had garden and music time. We ended our day with class play practice.
Thursday – We began our day with writing in our writers portfolios and our prompt was “I love my mom because…” Then we had spanish and recess. After recess was cooking – the first graders made yummy fresh fruit smoothies. Then we had another successful class play practice.