Writers Workshop Unit of Study for the month of April/May: Informative/Expository Writing – first two weeks of April / Opinion Writing – mid April and May
During the first two weeks of April the learners will finish writing / publishing their own “how to” / informative books during writers workshop. Then we will begin our next unit of study learning how to write an opinion piece about a book or a specific topic. At the end of this unit the learners will publish their own book that expresses an opinion about a book or specific topic.
Science Unit of Study for the months of April to June: Plants
• It is important to respect our natural environment
• We are stewards for plants, we are responsible to help create an environment for them
• Plants need water, soil, light and air to live
• Plants have different purposes and uses in the world
• What do plants need to live?
• What are different types of plants?
• How can we care for plants?
• How can plants help us?
• How are plants alike and different?
• What are the parts of a plant?
• What are seeds and their characteristics?
• What do plants need to grow?
• What is the life cycle of a plant?
• What plants grow in our community?
• What are different purposes of plants?
• How can we use the garden learns cape to enjoy and grow plants
Readers Workshop Unit of Study: February to May – Readers pursue their interest in books and other text
Readers will study:
• Genre studies non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and fairy tales
• Individual author studies
• Character studies
• Learn how to infer within the text
Unit of Study in Math – April / May: Operations and Algebraic Thinking – First Grade
We will spend these last few months of school concentrating on learning how to solve problems involving addition and subtraction. This will include how to apply and use the correct properties and strategies for solving word problems. We will practice and review our math facts within 20. Finally we will learn how to work within addition and subtraction problems.
Unit of Study in Math – April / May: Operations and Algebraic Thinking – Kindergarten
We will spend these last few months of school concentrating on learning how to solve problems involving addition and subtraction. This will include learning how to add and subtract within 10 by using objects or drawings to represent the problem. We will also work on understanding the concept that addition is putting together and adding to, and that subtraction is taking apart and taking from. Lastly we will work on fluently adding and subtracting within 5.